Well.. we're not sure if we could come up with anything more delicious than this recipe with our 100% Fullblood Wagyu Skirt Steak. This twist on the Vietnamese classic brings our juicy Wagyu beef together with traditional asian spices and the tang of pickled vegetables, sandwiched between a chewy, crusty baguette for a seriously delicious culinary experience.
Grilled Wagyu Skirt Steak Banh Mi Sandwich
- 1 1/2 pounds Lone Mountain Wagyu Skirt Steak
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons Siraracha (or other prepared chili garlic sauce)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 10-inch baguettes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Cut the Skirt Steak into 2-inch long pieces and set aside.
- Trim the root end of the lemongrass, remove tough outer leaves, cut a 4-inch piece, and coarsely chop.
- Combine lemongrass, ginger, fish sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper in a 2 cup measuring cup and puree with an immersion blender. Alternately you can you finely chop lemongrass and ginger, then add to a bowl and stir in fish sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper.
- Spread the marinade all over steaks, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine carrot, vinegar, sugar and salt together in a small nonreactive bowl. Set aside to let pickle for at least 2 hours or refrigerated overnight. Drain before using.
- Prepare the grill for medium-high heat.
- Brush the cooking grates clean and lightly oil. Grill the steaks over direct heat 3 – 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer steaks to a plate and loosely cover with foil and set rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice steaks against the grain.
- Meanwhile, stir mayonnaise, Siracha to taste, and scallion together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Cut each baguette in half crosswise, you will have four total pieces, then cut split half in half horizontally.
- To assemble, spread some of the chili mayonnaise on the cut sides of each baguette. Tuck some of the meat into the sandwich and top with some cilantro leaves, a few cucumber slices, a few jalapeño slices, and some drained carrots.