See ya later funyuns. No thanks, canned soup. This gourmet green bean casserole features fresh green beans, Fullblood Wagyu Beef Summer Sausage, and homemade crispy onion rings. And it is dang good.
Green Bean Casserole with Wagyu and Crispy Onions
- 8 oz. Lone Mountain Wagyu Summer Sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound fresh green beans, stemmed
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
1. Pulse summer sausage in a food processor until the texture of coarse meal. Set aside.
2. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add green beans and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain and let cool. Once cool, cut beans into 1 ½-inch lengths. Set aside.
3. Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice the onions into ¼-inch thick slices.
4. To make the crispy onions, pour buttermilk into a wide shallow bowl and generously season with salt and pepper. Put 1 cup flour into a separate wide shallow bowl. Pour oil into a medium deep skillet to a depth of 2 inches and over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 350°. Meanwhile, add onions to buttermilk and stir to combine. Working in batches, dredge onions in flour, shaking off excess and fry in hot oil until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Be sure to scoop out browned bits between batches.
5. Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and cream, reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce thickens and reduces enough to thickly coat the back of a wood spoon, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Remove from heat and stir in green beans.
7. Pour green bean mixture into a medium baking dish and spread to an even layer. Evenly sprinkle ground summer sausage over green beans and top with onions.
8. Bake until everything is heated through. Serve warm.